Friday, November 18, 2005

REFLECTION 5: A new idea and restructuring...

In Project KID DESIGNER: Constructivism at work through play, Reiber et. al, discuss a project to have schoolchildren create their own online learning environments, particularly remaining awareness to those children who are deamed underachievers, unengaged, or just poor students. Reiber et. al, state that "school ought not to be this way. Hard work and creative ideas should enhance, not threaten, one's self-esteem and social standing."

In trying to find a better way to present information and engage students (and also provide a motivating tool), they ask "What tasks or situations do elementary and middle children find authentic and meaningful? " In the case of this particular project the answer is games, therefore allowing kids to develop and organize and CONSTRUCT their own learning experience.

In thinking about the KidDesigner program, I wondered how the question would relate to the IDD studio experience. If the question is re-framed as 'What tasks or situations do Instructional Design & Development graduate students find authentic and meaningful?', then one begins to see the role of the studio class in the IDD graduate learning experience. In many ways, studio class follows a similiar pattern to the KidDesigner program. Although a majority of the work is individual, there is much group work and collaboration throughout 6190, 6200, & 6210.

One of the reasons I naturally gravitate towards the studio classes is that my own learning experiences as I child. I think a majority of my education did not follow lecture/testing teaching module; at least half if not 2/3 of my classes involved self learning, projects, creativity, or scientific/mathematical experiments. I find this structure of learning very intuitive and natural; however, my largest challenge in this kind of learning environment is understanding the framework and rules. No where has this more apparent than in my project journal. :) I am still not sure I understand EXACTLY what I am supposed to be doing, but I think (hope) that I understand correctly.


PROJECT PROCESS:
Although this article deals with a specific project in children developing games, it does have broader themes and topics. My project is currently going along okay, and I probably should be actively seeking more desk crits. However, I have a hard time seeking desk crits when I still have a list of things to fix or complete. I did have a new idea which I have now incorporated into my project. I have emailed artist and creative people with my interview question list. This has proven very interesting and I think it will provide more content weight and depth.

Reference:
Rieber, L. P., Luke, N., & Smith, J. (1998). Project KID DESIGNER: Constructivism at work through play. Meridian: Middle School Computer Technology [On-line], 1(1). http://www.ncsu.edu/meridian/jan98/feat_1/kiddesigner.html

Word Count: 450

No comments: